Grant and Ethan

Grant and Ethan
Grant (left) and Ethan (right), with Macavity the Cat

Thursday, 31 October 2013

GM Commentary

Greenjack wrote:Let me say again, what a great resource this telling of your exploration of the game is...very thought provoking and interesting.

Thanks for including Mordecai and Aperre -- nice to see them being put to use :)
You're welcome Greenjack. I've got plans for Mordecai. Now if I could only figure out how to post up some spoilers without tipping off Lurker37, I'd do it. Mmm.... maybe I could embed a link to a graphic on Photobucket and just tell Lurker37 not to click on those links...
Greenjack wrote:The notion of Doors opening from one Domain to another without passing through the Stair is one I struggle with -- I think my approach is going to be that it is possible but very rare and may not even be a feat achievable by anyone with any existing Power but may be a function of the Stair itself or maybe the threshold of the Door itself is a minimized extension of the Stair.
I'll be honest - generally I don't think it should be permissible. Marindar is meant to be 'special' (ie: there are Masters of the Grand Stair who have been involved in this) but I may have gone too far. It sets a precedent which David and I may regret. We'll see - we'll reserve judgement for now and see how it plays out. 
Rich H wrote:Those pics are awesome and very in keeping with the quality of those found in the rulebook.
Thanks Rich. We're trying to come up with some good material.
Rich H wrote:EDIT: from the rulebook (hope it's okay to quote this)...

"Bridging Doors. While Wardens are limited to Doors that lead to-and-from the Grand Stair, Masters know how to connect two doors in a single Gossamer world together so that they are directly linked, opening from one to another. To do this, the Master must be physically present at one of the doors to be linked (which must be closed) and concentrates on the other door to be linked. This can take a few minutes, less so with a strong mental impression of the other door, and even less with a direct psychic or magic link to the other place. These doors only open from one door within a Gossamer world to another place on the same Gossamer world. They can never bridge worlds."
Generally I'd prefer if you quote a page number than a passage as the book hasn't been released to the wider community, but I do appreciate the reference. Thanks! 

I knew it was possible for a Master to do this, but I didn't think the book specified that the Master had to be present to sustain the link.... hmm.... I think I need to talk it over with David. I set a precedent in Session 8 where a Door's destination could be changed to point directly to another realm without going to the Grand Stair. But that could have been a Dwimmerlaik 'special thing' - chucking in 'the unknown' from time to time is normally okay, but allowing too much of this could undermine the 'Warden of the Grand Stair' power, as per the thread that you started as to why the game designers have chosen not to allow Icons to be created for a place, only to a person.

One build we haven't explored yet is the PC with Sorcery - can a PC with Sorcery use their power to 'teleport' from one Gossamer world to another, bypassing the Stair? If Icons can't be created for a place, then I'm guessing that the designers' intent is that Sorcery shouldn't be a shortcut to bypass the Grand Stair either. But I haven't had the conversation with David yet about this.....

No comments:

Post a Comment